Another quencher for the summer, I have started noticing a lot of grapefruits around the stores, so I thought I would try it out. Really easy the interesting thing about this drink was the oven heating which helped to soften the grapefruit but also caramelize the sugars to release the sweeter taste of an otherwise bitter grapefruit.
Different from the typical lemomade, this is a great way to add a little oomph to a brunch party, something a little unique, and if you are feeling a little frisky, add a shot of vodka or tequila ;)
Prep: 20 mins
Yields: 2 person
- 2 Grapefruit
- 1/2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1/2 TSP Cinnamon
- 2 lime
- 3 TBSP vodka or tequila (optional)
- 2-3 basil leaves
- 1 TBSP Honey (more or less to taste)
- Basil leaves, lime wedges, grapefruit slices for garnish
- Slice the grapefruits into 2 halves through the equator. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together then divide into 2 equal portions and sprinkle over 2 of the grapefruit halves.
- Heat just 2 halves of the grape fruit for about 2 - 3 mins in oven or high heat. Once the sugar starts to caramelize, remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Squeeze the lime juice and the other 2 grapefruit halves into a glass and muddle with basil (and tequila or vodka if using). Then squeeze the grapefruit juice out of the roasted grapefruit into the same glass and mix together. Add honey, adjusting for your sweetness preference.
- Add ice to the prepared glass then pour the grapefruit juice mix over the ice.
- Garnish with lime wedges, basil and grapefruit slices.
Yuumzzzzzzzz enjoy :)