One of the few things you will notice when it comes to a lot of my recipes is that I am a chilli addict. I find spice most of the time adds the depth and warmth to the food that I crave. Amongst my love for chilli, you will also notice that nearly all the recipes I work with call for marination. A key thing I have learnt over the years to getting the dishes to be mouth wateringly good, especially those using chicken, is always marinating the meat, the longer the better 😉.
Marination, especially overnight, helps to not only seep in all those lovely flavours throughout the meat, but also helps to retain moisture and juiciness in the meat when cooking.
For this relatively quick and easy salad, the main trick is making sure either your chicken (or tofu for vegetarians) is well marinated, the longer the better!
Yield: 2 people
Prep: 30mins (not including overnight meat marination)
2 chicken breasts (or one block of hard or normal tofu - DO NOT use silken tofu)
2 TBSP Olive oil
1 large red onion (or any onion you have available)
1 TSP Salt
1 TSP Pepper
4 cloves garlic minced
½ TSP of your fav mixed herbs (you can use mixed Italian herbs)
1 TSP Brown/ palm sugar (or regular sugar is fine)
1 TSP of your favourite honey
2 TBSP Light soya Sauce
1 Lime – Juice it
1 Chilli Padi (or 1 TBSP Chilli flakes)
½ TSP Paprika (optional depending on spice tolerance)
½ Red and yellow bell peppers/ capsicum (or any colour readily available)
Mix all together
- 2 TBSP Olive oil,
- ½ Chilli padi
- 1 TBSP light soya sauce
- 2 Clove garlic minced
- 1 TBSP Lime juice
- Small pinch of salt and pepper and the herbs.
- Let the dressing sit for a while to properly mix the flavors
- Marinate chicken in salt, pepper, cut chili, garlic, lime juice, mixed herbs, 2 TBSP light soya sauce, 1 TBSP Olive oil, brown sugar and honey (overnight is the best or minimum 2 hours)🍯.
- If you would prefer to use tofu, marinate the tofu with the same ingredients.
- In a non-stick pan with 1 TBSP olive oil, cook the chicken until cooked all the way. Make sure to add in all the remaining marinate juices left in the container for the marinate - add a bit of water, swirl it around and then add the liquid/ marinate water into the chicken as it is cooking.
- Once cooked, take chicken out and set aside.
- Caramalise the onions by cooking in a tea spoon of olive oil and a small pinch of salt. Once done, take out and keep with the chicken.
- Cut into round thin pieces and sauté zucchini in salt and pepper.
- Cut fresh red and green peppers into thin slices.
- Once the chicken has cooled down, toss all the above ingredients together.
- You can either serve the dressing on the side or toss it in with the ingredients.
If you tried this recipe and enjoyed it, share with us by either emailing or tagging us on Instagram 😊