Why I like this dish is because its relatively simple and quick, most of it involves throwing ingredients into the pot at the right time, but most importantly its sooo HEALTHY! How can something be soo healthy, low in calories, and so delicious, how?! I tell you how in the recipe below ;) But really, Kimchi is known to have so many health benefits, it not only packs in a lot flavor but also a lot of nutrients. You can use this Korean staple to make a magnitude of dishes, I am thinking of trying out Kimchi friend rice, which I have not done before.
For this dish, I usually go for vegetarian ingredients, on occasion adding some chicken, but I really think its a great veg soup to be had. Most important thing for it to be vegetarian is to get Kimchi which does not have any fish sauce, anchovies or any fish remnants, which personally, I do not like the taste of in Kimchi. You can quite easily find some veg brands in regular supermarkets, if not, I would head over to specialty Asian or Korean stores.
Serves: 2 -3 people
Prep and total time: 25 mins
- 300 grams boneless chicken thinly sliced - omit if going vegeterian
- 1 regular package silken tofu - cut in cubes
- 300 grams vegetarian kimchi preferably aged (including kimchi juice) - cut to bite-sized lengths
- 2 Tbsp gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder or substitute with 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 Cups veg stock water
- 3 Cups normal water
- 1/2 leek sliced thinly or you can use spring onions
- 1/2 tsp chilli padi or chili flakes or chili powder
- 1 Sliced onion
- 200g Enoki mushroom
- 1/2 carrot sliced
- light soy sauce to taste
- Marinade chicken and kimchi with gochujang, sesame oil, garlic, Chinese wine and light soy sauce for at least half hour. If you are doing this vegetarian style, then complete the step but minus the chicken.
- In a soup pot, add water and vegetable stock, marinaded meat prepared and kimchi in step 1 and chilli padi/ chilli flakes or chilli powder. Simmer for 10 minutes. Again if you are going for veg kimchi soup, make sure you follow the step but without the chicken.
- Add cubed tofu and simmer for another 8-10 minutes. With about 5 mins left add enoki mushroom. And then with about 2 mins left add the onion, spring onions and carrots.
- Season with light soy sauce to taste.
- Serve with rice or have it buy itself ;)
If you enjoyed this recipe and try it out, let me know how it goes! ;)